Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is a summer academic enrichment and leadership program for outstanding high school students from around the world. Each summer, students from over 100 countries participate in one of nine interdisciplinary sessions and immerse themselves in a global learning community.
YYGS-Beijing: Asia in the 21st Century (ATC) is administered by Yale Center Beijing and takes place in Beijing, China.
Yale Young Global Scholars empowers the next generation of leaders by building a global community and designing interdisciplinary programs that foster intellectual curiosity, deepen understanding and inspire creative action across all borders.
Yale Young Global Scholars is an unparalleled academic and leadership program at Yale and abroad founded on the tenets of liberal arts, renowned for its diverse and inclusive community, and committed to increasing education access.
With no grades or course credit, YYGS encourages students to approach all aspects of the program creatively and with the understanding that they set their own limits. Students receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the session.
The diverse and inclusive community at YYGS enhances learning by inviting students to analyze issues from multiple perspectives. Living and learning alongside peers from around the world allows students to broaden their own world views by learning about countries and cultures they have never encountered before.
Living in Yale’s residential college gives students a taste of life at Yale University. Students are able to explore Yale’s campus and the surrounding area in their down time.*
- Tuition for each session of the 2019 Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) program is $6,250 USD, which includes instruction, housing on one of Yale’s historic residential colleges in New Haven or a hotel conveniently located near the Yale Center Beijing in China, three meals per day, and optional health insurance. TRAVEL COSTS ARE NOT INCLUDED in program tuition.
- Tuition payment structure: A non-refundable deposit of $3,000 USD, payable online, is due two weeks after the decision release. The remaining tuition balance of $3,250 USD is due in May. Processing fees are not included.
- Age: Be at least 15 years old by February 6, 2019 (application deadline).
- English Fluency: Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level: Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date: Be graduating in May/June 2020 or 2021 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2019 or 2020 from the Southern Hemisphere.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
- Step 1: Review the YYGS eligibility criteria.
- Step 2: Review the YYGS application required components.
- Step 3: Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- Step 4: You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
- Step 5: Click APPLY NOW and start your 2019 application. Be sure to write down the email and password you use in case you need to login again to continue the application.
- Step 6: Contact YYGS Staff with ANY/ALL questions as you complete the application. The earlier you contact them, the more likely that they can help you by the deadline.
- Step 7: Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and go back into any pages that require further information.
- Step 8: Once your application is complete, on the “Review” page please click on the “Finalize & Pay” button at the bottom of the page.
- Step 9: Pay the $60 USD application fee. If you submitted a Fee Waiver Request*, this page will automatically skip.
*YYGS staff will contact you if your Fee Waiver Request is denied to let you know that your application will not be reviewed until the $60 YYGS application fee is paid.
- Step 10: Keep an eye out for an email from YYGS that confirms receipt of your completed application. Please note that confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, as there are sometimes delays in payment processing.
Application deadline is Wednesday, February 6, 2019, at 11:59 pm EST.
Application Deadline: February 7, 2019.