Deadline: February 13, 2017.
The Keio University is offering scholarships for international students to pursue Global Information and Governance Academic (GIGA) Program. Students who complete the course are awarded a Bachelor of Arts in Environment and Information Studies.
This scholarship is awarded to hard-working students who display an aptitude for and interest in advanced information technology and policy, and seek to contribute to the global society using their acquired knowledge and skills.
Keio University opened its fifth university campus in Shonan Fujisawa in 1990. Located near the metropolis of Yokohama, Fujisawa is the ideal haven for academic endeavours with its quiet atmosphere.
Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing bachelor’s programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study Global Information and Governance Academic (GIGA) Program.
Mentor Mitakai Scholarship for International Students:
- Admission Fee and Academic Fees for one year. The scholarship recipient will be exempt from payment of the admission fee and academic fees for one year starting September 2017. (For students who show exceptional academic excellence only)
- Merit Scholarship Supplement JPY 1,200,000 per year. Students who show exceptional academic excellence will also receive the scholarship supplement.
Masatada Kobayashi Scholarship for International Students: JPY 1,000,000 per year. The scholarship will be appropriated to the payment of academic fees required at the time of entering the University. The scholarship amount less the academic fees for the 2017 Fall Semester will be paid into the scholarship recipient’s bank account.
Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility: The following eligibility requirements apply to both of two scholarships. To be considered for these scholarships, students must:
- Be accepted through Admissions for Overseas Students (GIGA Program) to enter the Faculty of Policy Management or the Faculty of Environment and Information Studies in September 2017
- Be an incoming first-year student
- Be a foreign national
- Persons who hold any of the following Japanese residency statuses are not eligible to receive: Permanent Resident, Special Permanent Resident, Spouse or Child of Japanese National, Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident, or Long Term Resident.
Nationality: Scholarships are open to international students.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants are required to fulfil both of the following I. and II. in order to apply for the GIGA program:
1. Applicants must fulfil all of the requirements described in sections a) and b) below:
a) Those who have spent at least two of the last three years of secondary education in a high school operated under a non-Japanese educational system.
b) Those who are eligible for admission into a university in accordance with the school education system of their native country.
II. Applicants must have an academic background equivalent to ONE of the following educational criteria at the time of application to Keio University:
(1) Those who have completed, or are expected to complete, 12 years or more of formal education in foreign schools outside Japan by September 21, 2017.*1
(2) Those who, by September 21, 2017, have completed, or are expected to complete, 12 years or more of formal education at schools for international students in Japan accredited by an international accrediting organization (WASC, CIS, or ACSI), or foreign schools in Japan accredited by MEXT to be equivalent to a high school outside Japan, and will reach 18 years of age before the enrollment date at Keio University.
(3) Those who have passed an examination demonstrating academic ability equivalent to 12 years of formal education, such as the GED (General Educational Development) test or another high school equivalency exam and will reach 18 years of age before the enrollment date at Keio University.
(4) Those who have obtained an International Baccalaureate, Abitur or Baccalaureate Diploma, and will reach 18 years of age before the enrollment date at Keio University.
(5) Those who, by September 21, 2017, have completed, or are expected to complete, 12 years of formal education in Japanese schools accredited by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), and will reach 18 years of age before the enrollment date at Keio University.
(6) Those who have been recognized individually by Keio University as having qualifications equivalent to (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) above, and will reach 18 years of age before the enrollment date at Keio University.
English Language Requirement: Applicants whose native language is not English and who do not graduate from a high school that uses English as the medium of instruction are required to submit certification of the official score of any of the following English language proficiency tests taken within two years of the application deadline. Results of other tests may be accepted; however, you should contact the Admissions Office at least two months before the application period to confirm acceptability. There is no minimum required band score, the average score of successful applicants is not announced.
- TOEFL (Institution: 0773 Department: 00)(TOEFL-ITP score not accepted)
- TOEIC (TOEIC-IP score not accepted)
- United Nations Association’s Test of English (UNATE)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test in Practical English Proficiency (EIKEN).
Applicants whose native language is English or whose high school uses English as the medium of instruction are not required to submit results of any of the tests listed above.
How to Apply: If students decide to apply for the scholarships, they may register from the Admission Web Entry System of Admissions for Overseas Students (GIGA Program).
Application Deadline: The application deadline is February 13, 2017.
For more scholarships and other offers click here.