For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter to be collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
Acting as one of the host institutions, East China Normal University( ECNU) enjoys a high reputation in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages(TCSOL). The School of International Chinese Studies at ECNU, specialized in trainning overseas Chinese language teachers, is the only institute of this kind established by Hanban. The HSK test center of International College of Chinese Studies at ECNU is one of the first Chinese language proficiency testing centers which have the right to recommend Confucius Institute Scholarship candidates.
- Tuition, Accommodation Fees on Campus
- The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full scholarship and partial scholarship. Full Scholarship consists of tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses; Partial scholarship covers tuition fee, accommodation fee, and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
- The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person. For PhDTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,500 CNY per person.
- University provides on-campus dormitory with double beds for scholarship students. Students hoping to live off-campus should apply to the university and receive the off-campus permission from the university. Then the accommdation allowance for PhD student is RMB1,000 per month per person and other scholarship students is RMB700 per month per person.
- The degree scholarship program applicants are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to receive the scholarship for the following year.
All applicants shall be
a) Non-Chinese citizens
b) In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
c) Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language
d) Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2019. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45, while undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25
Eligible Regions: Open for All
- For application, please log on to the ECNU online application system and Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
- Contact Recommending Institutions:
- Confucius Institutes and Confucius classrooms which have been in operation for more than six months. For more information, please refer to www.hanban.org.
- Testing centers for Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK which have the right to recommend Confucius Institute Scholarship candidates. For information, please refer to www.chinesetest.cn. (ECNU is eligible to recommend)
- Oversea organizers of Chinese Bridge Competition: education and cultural offices (groups) of China’s oversea embassies (consulates), Confucius Institute and relevant educational institutions. For further information, please consult firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants (An interview is required for ECNU degree program applicants), and Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection.
- After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post the Admission documents. The copy of the scholarship certificate can be print out from the CIS website.
Application Deadline: May 20, 2019